Dec 27, 2010

Reverb10 (27) and Home Made Settlers

December 27 – Ordinary Joy
Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?
(Author: Brené Brown)

I sincerely believe this prompt has been covered already. Food creates some of the best ordinary moments. I also talked about little things that make me feel happy in my post about body integration. In my discussion of parties and moments, there were also descriptions of ordinary things that make me happy. So, I'm opting out of today's Reverb for the sake of something better: What I did for Christmas.

So, what did I do for Christmas? My parents hosted a party with lots of family friends (there were 5 other families in addition to my own). While 4 of the five invited families had children my age (early to mid 20s), one was out of town and the other was studying for Step 2s. The other two who showed up and I had lunch with the parents, watched a movie (during which I took a nap and they couldn't make out a thing the characters said), and were promptly bored out of our minds.

Somehow, in our boredom, we decided we wanted to play Settlers of Catan. I own the game, thanks to my roommate, but it was in St. Louis. So, we made our own.

For efficiency sake, we didn't make things overly artsy but we did use a bit of creativity and had some fun. The best part? We did end up playing it. 2 games with the normal board, then we made the expansion board and were almost going to play, but some other people (friends of one of the people my age) came over and brought real settlers (HUZZAH!). All in all, it was a good night.

The basic Settlers tiles (I'm really bad at making hexagons, they didn't fit together very well):


The pieces and development cards (I like the face I chose for monopoly and the fact that we bothered to make roads. I had a jar full of stars, so we picked out some colors and used them for cities and settlements. The guy who drew the fluffy sheep also decided to draw weapons for the soldier cards. I was amused):

Since we didn't have a normal robber, we decided Gaara of the Sands was going to be our robber. He lives in a freakin' desert, just like the robber!

One of the people playing settlers with me. And ethanol. Thank god for ethanol. :)

I hope my Christmas adventures amused you.

<3
Hao

1 comment:

  1. Ok, yeah, that's pretty impressive.

    Also, I like your new avatar picture. :)

    ReplyDelete