Aug 20, 2010

Thinking about the Smell of Fall

I love fall. I also love the smell of fall. The line of perfume my roommate and I tend to follow recently came out with their fall line. I'm getting samples of some of them!

I'm really excited about them because some of my favorite scents are from that line. I like the apple ones the most. There's one that makes me think of apple cider in the chilling fall weather. Another actually makes me smell like orange glazed cake. I get cake batter and orange and even some floral notes toward the end as the perfume fades. I also love the ones that are earthy. Somehow it evokes the most wonderful aspects of fall.

I love the way the air gets really crisp when the weather starts to cool. The leaves fall and after raining, they start to decay a bit. It's a moldy smell, mixed with earth and water. There's something very natural about it that I associate with the harvest season. I like the way ginko trees have golden fan shaped leaves. I like the color maple leaves turn, the way university campuses and residential areas become littered with acorns, the pumpkin picking, the apple picking. I like running around outside in the cold trying to catch my metro holding a steaming mug of hot tea with milk and fake sugar.

I think once when I was in undergrad, we had a mud fight in the fall. It was raining and my friends and I decided to go sliding in the mud. I also forced leaf fights onto some people before. New England had a very nice fall and a few years ago, before my cousin was engaged, we drove through Connecticut and I took pictures of the leaves.  I took pictures of my cousin-in-law and a little community with a lake and lots of ducks.

Anyway, it's over human body temperature where I live and the only reason I'll be asleep is because I have a fan pointed at me tonight.

I can't wait for fall.

<3
Hao

No comments:

Post a Comment