Aug 24, 2010

Flight vs Invisibility?

I was listening to one of my favorite podcasts today. It's called This American Life and was introduced to me by one of my best friends junior year of undergrad. The podcast posed a question: Flight vs Invisibility, which will you choose if you can only choose one and why?


One thing I found interesting was the questions people asked about their powers. How fast? (for fliers) & Do I need to be naked? (for invisible choosers) I think it's interesting how these little things from life and science fiction/comic books become so ingrained. I think the question of do we need to be naked to be invisible -- or can we affect our clothing -- is very amusing.

I also wondered if the question is a sort of personality litmus test. The podcasters/radioshow people thought flight denotes freedom and invisibility implies a desire to hide. One person interviewed was even convinced that all normal people would choose invisibility because no one is able to be fully open about everything.

That's a sad thought and I'm not sure if I believe it. I'd like to believe in humans. I really would.

I think I would want to fly. This would let me combat my fear of heights (it's really more a fear of whatever supports me disappearing and me falling to my death) and allow me to do cool nifty super hero type things. I could also disappear if I want into the sky. I can run away from things and get to school on time. Flying also allows for wind in my face. I don't have to pay to go to China or anywhere else. I can bypass customs. It would be AMAZING!

I think it's my adventurous side speaking. :)

What would you choose and why?

<3
Hao

No comments:

Post a Comment