Aug 11, 2010

Attempting to be Verbally Normal

One of the things that make me crazy seeming is I like making bizarre jibberish noises. These noises are usually communicated with flamboyant hand gestures and, within context, completely understandable. One of my friends in lab has described why he understands them by saying my intonations are very modern English language like. I think it's because he's known me for a year now and has gotten used to it. Sometimes my noises sound like a butchered version of the Despicable Me minion speak. I actually wish they spoke a "language" that was well defined so I could learn it too! That's going off topic, however.

Another bit of abnormality I have is I like making up random songs and singing them. For example, my spectrophotometer song (set to the tune of Shirley Temple's Animal Crackers in My Soup song):

Spectrophotometer in my shoe
Colors and wavelengths within view
OMG! What values I see!
Measuring proteins oh so wee!

For every sole of shoe I own,
Cuvette and wellplate values known.
Measuring samples in a queue!
That spectrophotometer in my shoe!

Anyway, a bet was made in lab that activates today. I must attempt to be verbally normal. I can make funny gestures and bounce up and down as long as I'm soundless. Anything that comes out of my mouth, however, has to be within reasonable context and/or be in coherent English (ideally with complete sentences). I have three strikes or I lose. My punishment is I must attempt this task everyday (from 9am-5pm) until I succeed. Once I succeed my friend will make me these wonderfully delicious puffy pastries filled with yummy ground chicken (yay!).

So hopefully I can survive today's trial of verbal normalcy.

Wish me luck!
<3
Hao

1 comment:

  1. Hao hao hao!! I miss you so much, and your bounciness, and your hao-speak! I hope that you succeed, but only for the puff pastries - don't get too much in the habit of complete sensical sentences!

    ReplyDelete