Aug 10, 2010

Tasting the Rumbow!

I like ethanol. I think it's great fun and brings much happiness. However, I don't drink bad beer. I also refuse to get inebriated unless no one around needs to be driven home, there are others to get drunk with me, and I feel completely at ease. Since all those prerequisites have not been met since last July, I have not been getting drunk.

BUT! (Yes, I know, it's an excited exclamation.) That does not stop me from experimenting.

Recently, Skittles went on sale for 2.50 a pound at my local grocery store. I bought 2 bags and realized I have no earthly clue what I wanted to do with them. I also had a mostly full bottle of Bicardi Rum that I found rather intimidating. Add that to the fact that I discovered the joys of owning mason jars, the only thing I could do was make a Rumbow (yes, yes, bad pun. I happen to love them. Also, most people tend to do this with vodka. I used what I had/owned).


Anyway, the Rumbow was made by sorting skittles into mason jars, adding much rum, and waiting for the skittles to dissolve. Three days later, you get this:


Anyway, I realized filtering them would be good since there was weird goopy stuff floating in it. Thus, I got out my cheese cloth and filtered the rumbow. Interestingly, a smooth skittles scented waxy substance was left on the cheese cloth I used to filter:

I kept on poking it with my finger because it was such a fascinating texture. As I poked and smoothed it out, more lemony goodness got on my finger. It smelled a bit like lemon soap... but tasted sweet. Really weird stuff.

And then my friends and I tasted the rumbow.

We tried orange first. It was good but STRONG. One friend suggested milk and we ended up with alcoholic orange creamsicles. YUM! Then we tried the lime. My friends' all decided it smelled (and tasted) like pinesol. I think I need better quality alcohol to make lime taste good.Next, came the strawberry. It was tasty and everyone had about a shot with mango ice cream melted inside. :D I was pleased by the strawberriness of the red rumbow.The purple, as expected, tasted like children's grape cough medicine. :/ And the lemon, according to one friend, tasted very lemon-drop like and would go very well with iced tea.

So, if you're going to make rumbow with cheap rum like I did, it's best to stick to red and orange and maybe yellow. Eat the others or throw them at squirrels.

<3
Hao

P.S. I think if rumbow shots were to be forced up on people, one needs to take them in color order: grape, lime, lemon, orange, strawberry and chase it with something nice and cold (like mango ice cream).

No comments:

Post a Comment