Oct 11, 2010

Claire's Cornercopia Lithuanian Coffee Cake

I did it! I made the cake super moist and dense!!!!

So I took the recipe that I found online and altered it. Here you go! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do! I'm probably going to make it over and over and over again! It's my FAVORITE! :D


Lithuanian Coffee Cake from Claire's Corner Copia in New Haven, CT.

Filling: 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground coffee (not brewed)
(you can add nuts or raisins, but i don't like them that way, so i don't)
Combine in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Cake:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature (this is important for creaming butter and sugar together!)
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon brewed coffee, chilled
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 small tub (1 pint?) low-fat sour cream
2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, and beat until smooth. Add the coffee, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Beat until near homogenous. Taste it a bit, add more coffee and/or sugar as needed.

In a separate mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture. Mix well.

Prepare a small bundt pan (8-10 cup pan), either by thoroughly spraying with nonstick cooking spray or greasing with shortening and flouring the pan. Sprinkle in 1/3 of the filling. Pour in half the batter. Sprinkle the rest of the filling evenly over the top of the batter. Pour the remaining batter evenly over the filling. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the batter from the bowl and smooth the batter.

Bake in the center of the oven for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick or fork comes out clean. Let sit until cooled. Flip bundt pan over to remove. Frost and enjoy!

 <3
Hao

3 comments:

  1. I would recommend altering the sour cream though. I haven't tried the cake at room temperature, but I tried it warm and the sour note is a little strong (which isn't necessarily a negative, it's just different from the original, and one thing I like about the original is its somewhat bland flavor). Otherwise, the cake was pretty damn close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't try it warm.... i wonder what i could do instead...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with baking to make any recommendations. =/

    ReplyDelete