Feb 5, 2011

Food for Thought (Feb)

The Contemporary Art Museum (CAM) in St. Louis does nifty free events. On the first Saturdays of the month, they do this thing called Food for Thought. I've been thinking about going and trying free food for a while. I finally got unlazy enough to go today! HUZZAH!

So I arrived a bit late (my car had issues with the snow... this is when i realize why being from Texas actually does suck....) and I'm confused at first. There's a little cafe in the CAM and the lady at the desk points me there nicely. I get permission to takes pictures of the food, because I feel bad hauling my camera there. The people were actually really nice and I ended up talking to someone about my camera and how much I love it.

Anyway, there were three things on the "menu". They were set out on a table and  you could just grab one of each as you walked in. They were all nice and artsy -- the way you expect food inspired by art to be. I was very intrigued.

The menu was inspired by random words in a poem consisting of random words. While the idea was cool, I was disappointed because I wanted more thematic coherency. I guess I like art for thematic and conceptual reasons. This is why I need to see the point of a piece. I want to have some insight into how an artist thinks. I need my abstract artwork to at least have some title to give me context for deeper understanding. I hate most things that say Untitled #___ unless the artist's intention is clear.

The first thing I tried was the beet and carrot creme brulee. I really liked the colors. Before reading the description, I had expected the pink to be raspberry. I was a bit disappointed because I assume I don't like beets (they're mostly flavorless and smell funny when overcooked... which I guess is why I never cared for them). I love the way the sauce was splattered on the plate. The creme brulee was lightly sweet but not overly so and the carrot flavor was there but also not overpowering. I didn't expect to like this and I did.

The next thing I tried was the grass fed beef philly cheesesteak. I didn't realize it was a cheesesteak until I saw the description. It was bite size and tasty, but not as flavorful as I hoped it to be. The roll was soft and the meat and sauce were tasty. I just wanted something more inspiring or inspired. I'm not sure which:

The last thing I tried was the seared duck breast with missouri pecans and fig reduction. I love duck. I also love savory and sweet things together. This piece was really great. It had good texture, good flavor, and great balance. I think mine could've been cooked a bit better. It wasn't tough, but didn't have the nice tenderness I'm used to associating with duck. Actually, the flesh was a bit pink, which was weird. I think what I liked the most was how the fat looked. There was a clear layer of seared crispiness with the rest of the fat underneath. In it's own way, it was very pretty. I thought it was worth taking pictures from two angles because it was such a strange construction.




Anyway, that was my adventure for the day. The food was good and I will be going again. I hope they have more coherency in ideas next time.

<3
Hao

No comments:

Post a Comment